The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) was published by The Department of Justice in 1990 and the Standards for Accessible Designan extension of the ADAwas released in 2010. Title II of the ADA says state and local governments cannot discriminate against people because of a disability.
The ADA protects people with any level of severity physical, sensory, cognitive, and mental disabilities.
ADA and American Public Schools
In a school setting, the ADA pertains to academics, extracurricular activities, athletics, and off-campus events. Public schools are required to make accommodations for disabled students educational needs.
ADA and School Furniture Requirements
ADA requirements for school classrooms vary slightly depending on the purpose of a classroom; however, 2% of a classrooms seating and 5% of a classrooms tables should be available for students with wheelchairs. Moreover, in order to comply with ADA regulations, classroom tables must be between 28 and 34-inches high with at least 24-inches of knee clearance.
School Outlet Supplies ADA Compliant School Furniture
School Outlet offers customers a large collection of ADA approved tables, desks, chairs, and more. For example: in classrooms where tablet-arm chair desks are located, ADA suggests 10% of the tablet-arm chair desks to be left-hand accessibleSchool Outlet supplies a number of left-hand accessible chair desks, including Vircos ZUMA 4-leg tablet-arm chair desk.
School Outlets Selection of Height-Adjustable Furniture
American public schools must incorporate furniture that can be used by students who exhibit a disability. Adjustable tables and furniture pieces are often recommended to accommodate students.A few examples of height-adjustable, ADA-compliant school furniture School Outlet supplies include:
- Diversified Woodcrafts ADA Lap Workstation
- Height adjustable from 28-inches to 40-inches
- Adjust height by turning the fold-away hand crank on the student side of the table
- Workspace is 88-inches by 46-inches
- Shain Hi-Lo ADA Bench Maple Top
- Height adjustable from 25-inches to 36-inches
- Workspace 60-inches by 30-inches
- Turning the hand crank 10 times moves the work surface 1-inch
- Vircos 723 Series ADA Student Desk with Hard Plastic Top
- Desk height adjustable from 28-inches to 35 -inches
- Workspace is 34-inches wide
- Tubular steel frame and nylon glides provide a sturdy base and prevent the desk from wobbling
- Diversified Woodcrafts Forward Vision ADA Workstation
- Sloping front allows a person in a wheelchair to roll right up to the sink area
- Door cabinet features an adjustable shelf, locks, and ADA compliant pulls
- Constructed of hardwoods and oak veneers with chemical resistant finish
Order ADA Compliant Furniture From School Outlet
View School Outlets entire collection of ADA approved school furniture on our website today. If you need assistance determining the ideal furniture options for your school, reach out to our knowledgeable staff. Contact School Outlet with any questions, comments, or concerns by calling 877-398-6449. Customers can also fill out our online contact form.